KCSWA is your recycling resource

Recycling is important for a variety of reasons, but it can be complicated. What types of plastics are accepted? What about electronics? Or hazardous items? We’ve rounded up the answers to all these questions and more.

Recycle Smart is an educational campaign that will make recycling in Kanawha County easier, more accessible, and more efficient. Together we want to create more educated and motivated citizens, and provide them with the necessary tools that encourage volunteering and increased support of recycling at home, work, school, and community events.


How do I prepare my recyclables?
You should always check with your preferred drop-off location to find out their requirements, as each may be different. It is common however; and required at the Kanawha County Solid Waste Authority 's facility in Charleston, that each type recyclable (plastic, aluminum, paper, newspaper, etc.) has to be placed in separate bags. All plastics in one bag, all aluminum cans in another bag, etc. Those bags are then placed in the appropriate bins located at the KCSWA recycling drop off center.


How do I recycle plastics?
The Kanawha County Solid Waste Authority 's facility in Charleston accepts plastics labeled #1 and #2. The WV Cashin Recyclables facility in Nitro accepts only plastics #1 and #2 that are bottles with a narrow neck. Curbside programs in Charleston, South Charleston and Marmet take all plastics #1 and #2. Curbside in St. Albans only accepts narrow-neck plastic bottles #1 and #2.


Are aluminum/tin/steel cans that are lined (such as cat food cans) recyclable?
Yes, these types of cans are recyclable, as long as they are empty.


Where can I recycle electronics?
Starting July 1, 2016, the landfill ban on electronics was repealed due to the passage of House Bill 4540. It is now legal for residents to properly dispose of electronics in their local landfills.

There are are also  several locations within Kanawha County that recycle specific electronics, plus they can also be taken to the spring and fall cleanups held by the Kanawha County Commission each year.


Are pizza boxes recyclable?
Yes, empty pizza boxes may be recycled even if they have grease on them.


Must I remove staples, paperclips, rubber bands before recycling paper?
No, but please conserve paperclips and rubber bands as much as possible. Paper should be removed from folders and binders.


Can envelopes with windows be recycled? What about Post-it notes?
Yes, both of these can be recycled with office paper.


How do I recycle shredded paper?
Shredded paper must be put separately in a paper or plastic bag so that it does not mix with the other paper. Shredded paper can also be composted or used for animal bedding.


Can I recycle Styrofoam?
Polystyrene foam plastic can be recycled, but it is not currently being accepted for recycling in Kanawha County at this time. Before discarding polystyrene foam plastic peanuts, consider taking them to your local mail and packaging store for reuse, typically without charge.

Plastic Bags

What kinds of plastic bags/films are accepted at local grocery stores?
Many grocery and retail stores offer plastic bag drop-off programs for #2 & #4 plastics. Besides grocery bags, they also accept:

  • Retail bags (remove hard plastic or string handles)
  • Plastic newspaper bags
  • Dry cleaning bags (remove paper and hanger)
  • Bread bags (with crumbs shaken out)

What can I do with paint?
The Habitat for Humanity ReStore in Charleston has developed a latex paint recycling program where leftover latex paint can now be remixed and resold! However; the Habitat ReStore can only accept LATEX paint. The ReStore can NOT accept oil-based paint, stains, epoxy, chemicals, unmarked containers, thinners or any other liquid. If your paint says Oil, Oil-based, Alkyd, Flammable, “Keep away from open flame” or “Clean with mineral spirits”, the ReStore can NOT accept it. Please visit their website for more information about the program.

If you are stuck with paint that the ReStore cannot accept, you do have options for proper disposal. You can completely dry the paint to a solid form using cat litter and then have your waste hauler pick it up on your regularly scheduled day. In some cases, you can also contact the store where you bought the paint and ask them to dispose of the leftovers.

Hazardous Waste

What do I do with special disposal of hazardous waste?
To find out how to dispose of different household hazardous wastes, contact the DEP Hazardous Waste Disposal at (304) 926-0499, ext. 1315. You could also visit their website for a list of different Hazardous Waste Services in the state.


Why do I not have curbside service in the county?
Only municipalities with more than 10,000 residents are mandated by the state to recycle. Smaller municipalities  may have recycling programs on a volunteer basis, or on subscription basis through the local waste hauler. Contact your local municipality to find out your options.


Who do I contact about a septic tank?
Please call the Kanawha Charleston Health Department at (304) 344-5243.

Open Dump

Who do I contact to report an open dump?
Please call the Kanawha County Litter Control Officer at (304) 357-0570.


Who do I contact to pick up white goods, such as refrigerators, washing machines, etc?
Many municipalities that offer curbside service will also pick up white goods. Contact your local municipality to find out if they provide these services. If you do not have this service in your community please contact your local waster hauler, or find recycling drop-off locations in your area.


Still have questions? We're always here to help, so email or give us a call if you have further questions or would like any clarification.

The Kanawha County Solid Waste Authority is the central resource for waste reduction in the county with a focus on the education and awareness of sustainable techniques and initiatives.

Kanawha County
Solid Waste Authority
600 Slack Street
Charleston, WV 25301
(304) 342-4477

Monday - Friday 8:00am-5:00pm